I was greeted, by one of Abbie's teachers with the exciting news that Abbie had her first reading lesson that day! I knew this day would come; there is no way for Abbie to be my daughter and not be excited to read.Abbie came home with a baggie full of the words she had read that day at school: jug, hat, mop, pig, and bat. She is getting very good at sounding at simple words and even better at figuring out what things say based on her recognizing the initial letter or letters of the word. It's exciting and thrilling to watch. I remember when she first started eating and thought sweet potatoes were the greatest thing ever. I thought, "oh, just you wait until I introduce you to raspberries and chocolate chip cookies and ice cream." I feel the same way now - you think "jug, hat, mop, pig, and bat are exciting, just wait until you read The Godfather or Anna Karinina.
I now look forward to the many, "Mommy, what's this word?" and being read to at a painfully slow rate as she decodes the words one syllable at a time.
Our little Abbie is becoming a reader!
1 comment:
I read this soon after you first posted it. I can only imagine what you're feeling. What an exciting time in your life as a mother and in Abbie's life as she starts to steer her experience as a reader. How cool! I was touched by this post and found myself crying from the joy of it. Thanks so much for posting.
Post a Comment