Thursday, March 24, 2011

Seeds

Today as Abbie and I were driving home from school/work she asked me a question about seeds. "How do you make seeds?" I explain that you don't make seeds; seeds come from plants and trees. After some back and forth where she clarifies herself and then I answer and then she clarifies herself again it turns out that what she really wants to know is: where did the first seeds come from.

Jeesh.

So I explain that honestly, we don't really know. But there are several theories about how life started. Then I blather on about the beginning of the universe and how the planet Earth was probably formed. And that conditions on the planet probably led to the formation of proteins ("what are proteins?") and cells ("what are cells?") and life forming in the ocean and changing over generations ("what is generation?") until we get to the plants that we know today.

We pull into the driveway and I ask, "Does that answer your question are did I just confuse you."

Abbie's reply: "Actually, I forgot the question you were answering."

I really must remember that, "I don't know. What should we have for dinner?" is a perfectly acceptable answer to many questions.

No comments: