Last night while we were awaiting our fish and chips at Spud Abbie asks, "but how does the baby get in the mommy's belly?" We have talked about how babies grow in their mommy's uterus so this topic wasn't totally unfamiliar; the newest twist was the "how does it get in there?" Daddy answered the question with "I don't know." Daddy is a wuss. Mommy answered with an explanation that girls have little tiny eggs inside of them and when the egg meets the sperm fertilization occurs and the cells start to split and pretty soon you have a baby growing and growing inside of the mommy.
"How does the baby get out?"
It comes down the birth canal and then out of the mommy's vagina. (whispered since we are in a restaurant.) Sometimes if the baby doesn't come out though the doctor has to cut open the mommy's tummy and take the baby out.
"How does the doctor put the tummy back together?"
The doctors sews up the tummy, just like the doctor sewed up Mommy's wrist ...
"And like I sewed the button and like my lip."
Yes
"Mommy, what are you doing so you don't die."
Well I ride my bike and run to get some exercise; I wear a helmet when I ride my bike; I wear a seatbelt when I'm in the car. I eat fruits and vegetables. And I don't use illegal drugs.
"What are illegal drugs?"
etc, etc, etc. This continued for 15 minutes or so...it was like the moral of every single after school special all rolled up into one giant conversation. At its conclusion the woman seated at the table behind us came up to let us know how much she and her mother enjoyed our conversation. "You daughter is so smart and has such a good vocabulary!" It's nice to know that we could provide such entertainment to the patrons of Spud.
No comments:
Post a Comment